Order a Garbage or Recycling Bin
Order Online Now
If your garbage and recycling is maintained by Louisville Metro Public Works, you can purchase an additional garbage cart, an additional recycing bin, or a recycling cart online using a credit card. (Discounts may not be applied to online purchases.)
Garbage and recycling carts are out of stock until July 2019.
Get started below:
Contact Metro311 online or call 311 or (502) 574-5000 if:
- You have just moved into a residence or business and there are no garbage cart (s) or recycling bin (s).
- Your garbage or recycling cart or recycling bin needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Your garbage cart or reycling bin is missing or stolen.
You may also download the order form and mail it in.
Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
- Position the cart so that the handle faces away from the street/alley.
- Cart must be positioned at the edge of the curb or alley and at least three feet away from other carts, walls, buildings, poles, etc.—do not block sidewalks.
- Do not overload the cart (maximum load 200 lbs).
- No household garbage outside the cart.
- Do not place hot ashes, flammable liquids, construction debris, hazardous waste, dirt or rocks in the cart.
- Do not put yard waste in the cart. Yard Waste Disposal Guidelines
- Remove the cart from curb or alley when emptied.
- Wash the cart periodically with soap and water.
- Keep the lid closed to keep odor and litter in and animals out.
Report damaged and stolen carts to Metro311 or 502-574-5000.
- Citizen must provide name, address, daytime phone number, cart serial number, description of damage (if applicable), and cart size.
- If the stolen cart is a purchased cart, the citizen will be charged for the replacement.
- There will be a charge of $50 plus 6% tax for an additional 95 gallon cart and $45 plus 6% tax for a 65 gallon cart.
- An additional cart may be provided free of charge by submitting proof of income. (Federal income guidelines will be used.)
- Citizens are strongly urged to completely use the space in the first cart before putting garbage into additional carts.
- Cart will be delivered as soon as possible.
Exchange a 95 gallon garbage cart for a smaller 65 gallon cart through Metro311 or 502-574-5000.
Carts will be exchanged as soon as possible.
If a citizen is physically incapable of using the city's roll-out garbage cart, an exemption may be requested through Metro311 or 502-574-5000.
- Citizen will be mailed a form to complete.
- Citizen will be required to provide proof of physical disability (written doctor's statement).
- If granted an exemption for physical disability, citizen may set garbage out in a garbage can with lid.
- Exemption requests based on setout site features will require verification by staff.
If you have received an exemption from using a roll-out cart:
- Garbage must be set out in cans no larger than 40 gallons with two lifting handles and a tightly fitting lid.
- Garbage outside of cans will NOT be accepted.
- When filled, the can must weigh no more than 60 pounds and be easily lifted by the average person.
- There is no limit to the number of cans that residents may set out for collection.
- Collection guidelines for residents with an exemption are the same as those for the carts (listed above).