NEW - June 1, 2020
Lifeguard and Qualified Pool Attendant certification extended to October 1, 2020
If you are a Lifeguard I, II or a Qualified Pool Attendant and your certification expires between March 1 and July 15, 2020, your certification has been extended and won’t expire until October 1, 2020. This only applies to you if you are up to date with all other required certifications: Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid.(We have learned that many of the organizations that provide those certifications are also offering free extensions. Please call them to make sure.) This means you do not need to schedule an appointment with us to be tested for recertification and you can work as a lifeguard when pools open later this month. Questions? Email us here.
If you are a new Lifeguard or Pool Attendant, please follow the directions below to get certification.
Due to Covid-19 the Department of Public Health & Wellness will be open for lifeguard testing at a reduced compacity, adhering to recommended guidelines of the CDC and the Governor’s office.
Lifeguards and Qualified Attendants must call (502) 574-6650 to get an appointment to take the test.
The following will be required to take the test:
- Photo ID
- Lifeguard card
- CPR certification card
- First Aid certification card
You will be asked to reschedule your appointment if you cannot provide documentation of training at the time of the appointment to take the test.
The following will be required to meet the CDC guidelines prior to entering our building:
- Individuals must wear a face covering/mask
- Individuals will be asked a series of questions regarding COVID19 symptom questions, including if they have a fever or have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID19
To become a lifeguard, a person needs to undergo an intense period of lifeguard training to ensure the safety of all those they are entrusted to protect. Click on the links below to learn more information of the skills and requirements needed to be a lifeguard.
- Lifeguard I Certification Requirements
- Lifeguard II Certification Requirements
- Qualified Pool Attendant Certification Requirements
- TRAINING MANUAL for Lifeguards and Pool Attendants
- Louisville and Jefferson County Board of Health Chapter 901 Lifeguard I, Lifeguard II, Qualified Attendant
- Louisville and Jefferson County Board of Health Chapter 901 Lifeguard I, Lifeguard II, Qualified Attendant Ammendments
$25.00 per certification
Lifeguard/Qualified Attendant Testing and Certification:
- Location for written test and certification:
Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness
400 E. Gray St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Written exams are currently given at 400 E. Gray St.; Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
You must bring with you:
- Know the last 4 digits of your social security number
- Proof of identification and age: driver's license or personal picture ID with birth date
- Original certification card/cards for Lifeguarding, 1st Aid and CPR signed by your instructor. If you do not have your original cards with the instructor’s signature bring a print out of your cards from the website of the organization that you obtained the training. We will not accept views of your certification cards from your cellphone. (you will be turned away if you do not have the cards)
- $25.00 for certification: cash is preferred but will accept check, credit: VISA, MasterCard, Discover
- Change for parking meters on Gray St., change and/or credit card for meters on Jackson St. and Preston St. (DO NOT PARK IN LOT - Health Department parking lot is for Health Department employees only)
Lifeguard/Qualified Attendant Water Skills Testing:
Water swim test/lecture
At a local swimming pool reserved by the division for this course
You must register for this course: 502-574-6650
Come prepared to enter the pool water. Swim attire is required.
No Guard On Duty Requirements:
When the public swimming pool is without water safety personnel on duty, a locked barrier with a minimum height of 4 ft. shall be present at the pool entrance. The barrier must be secured at all times with access limited to residents and patrons. In addition, one of the following warning signs shall be placed in plain view with lettering 2 inches in height:
A) "POOL CLOSED, NO SWIMMING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY": PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF UP TO $100.00"
B) "WARNING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, NO ONE MAY BE ALONE AND NO MORE THAN 5 PERSONS MAY BE IN THE POOL AT ANY TIME. PERSONS UNDER 16 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE UP TO $100.00"